Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 on my Thinkpad T60p

Now that my T60p has been repaired, after the LCD had developed multiple horizontal lines, I have upgraded the hard disk to 200GB at 7200rpm.

Ubuntu 8.04 installed sweetly.

To enable the desktop effects I had to enable the ATI drivers first. This was easily done by clicking the menu items System/Administration/Hardware Drivers - then click the box to enable the "ATI accelerated graphics driver". This is a non-free driver. The driver is downloadedand installed automatically and after a restart is ready for action. Then click the menu item System/Preferances/Appearance followed by the "Visual Effects" tab - then click "Extra".

Then the wobbly windows start working. :-)

Once that was all working I ran the Synaptic Package Manager and searched for "Simple Compiz Config Settings Manager" and installed it. The I ran it by the menu item "System/Preferences/ Advanced Desktop Effect Setting" and enabling "rotate cube".

Essential stuff. It's very smooth and the wireless setup was really easy.

No comments: