Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 on my Thinkpad T60p (Part 2)

Now my thinkpad T60p is running Ubuntu successfully with Lotus Notes 8.5, Symphony office suite, video and the VPN into work is a treat (Lotus Mobile Connect).

A part of my job is giving customer briefings - so I need to be able to use projectors and external screens from my Laptop. This has previously been a real issue when running with Linux. Now it works.

To get an external screen to work I used "Envy", an automated installer for Video drivers. First I used Synaptic to install "envyng-gtk". Then I ran Envy from the menu "Applications/System tools/EnvyNG". This detected my video card, an ATI, and installed the appropriate drivers. This also installed the "ATI Catalyst Control Center" that allowed me to setup the resolution for an external monitor.

No comments: